Beginning Math Program
- Older 4's (AK4)
- 5-year-olds (K5)
- Beginning 1st---first time schooled (B1st)
Notice to Math Edition 1 Users: If you own the original Math Lessons Guide A and Math Lessons Guide B, the Home School workbooks (Levels A, B:1, B:2, and C) are not compatible. To purchase Edition 1's Math Workbook A, order Part 401. For Edition 1's Math Workbook B, order Part 403.
Christ-Centered Math Is Uniquely Scriptural!
Christ-Centered Math derives its teaching content from
mathematical truths rooted in Scripture. For example, the first thing God did in Creation week was to add something to the nothing that existed---the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1). Addition is thus the basis for all other mathematical operations.
Level A lessons begin by introducing addition concepts 1-10. Math Workbook A students will also learn number concepts 1-10 ("how many," number identification, and number recall) as they count pictures of some things God made during Creation week, for our Creator also counted when He numbered the days of the week.
Level B:1 teaches the 1-10 addition/subtraction
facts plus how the godly qualities represented by ten animal families can be further developed personally.
Level B:2 teaches biblical stewardship through the study of fractions (1/2, 1/3, 1/4), time, and money. The scriptural content encourages giving our whole heart to Christ, not just part of it.
Christ-Centered Math Also Builds Godly Character!
Math Lessons A, B, and C include CHARACTER TRAINING TIPS
that illustrate ways to develop godly qualities like those reflected by the animal families on the
Christ-Centered Math Flashcards 1-10 Set (included in the Math Master Guide):
- ONE Penguin–Generosity
- TWO Deer–Flexibility
- THREE Bear–Loyalty
- FOUR Beaver–Orderliness
- FIVE Skunk–Courage
- SIX Badger–Decisiveness
- SEVEN Chickadee–Joyfulness
- EIGHT Crow–Responsibility
- NINE Squirrel–Endurance
- TEN Moth–Determination
Note: The story illustrations and character quality definitions were adapted from
Character Sketches Vol. I and II (used by permission from the Institute in Basic
Skills covered at Math Level A:
- Godly Character Qualities 1-10
- Number Concepts 1-10
- Introduction to Addition Families 1-10
- Number Line 0-10
- Before and After 0-10
- Missing Numbers in Sequence 0-10
- Greater Than/Less Than 0-10
- Counting by 1's to 100
- Tracing/Writing Numerals 1-10
Skills Covered at Math Level B:
- Number Concepts 1-20
- Number Recognition 0-100
- Counting to 100 by 1's, 10's, 5's, 2's
- Counting Backwards from 20-0
- Missing Numbers in Sequence 0-100 (by 1's, 10's, 5's, 2's)
- Greater Than/Less Than 0-100
- Addition Facts 1-10
- Subtraction Facts 1-10
- Adding Multiple Numbers (e.g., 3+2+4+1)
- Simple Word Problems
- Simple Fractions (1/2, 1/3, 1/4)
- Telling Time (hour, half-hour, quarter-hour, five-minute increments)
- Money (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, dollars)
If you already own Math Kit A, you only need Math Add-On Kit B (Part 005AO) to teach Levels B:1 and B:2.
NOTE: Every beginning math student should complete Level A before starting Level B:1.
Math Kit B contains the following materials:
- Christ-Centered Math Master Guide (Part 500)---an overview of how to teach Math Levels A, B, and C plus the visual aids used at all three Math Levels.
- Christ-Centered Math Lessons: Level A---Workbook Answer Key Included (Part 502)
- Christ-Centered Math Lessons: Level B:1---Workbook Answer Key Included (Part 530)
- Christ-Centered Math Lessons: Level B:2---Workbook Instructions/Answer Key Format (Part 532)
- Christ-Centered Animal Stories with Scripture Songs and Hymns CD (Part 501)
- Christ-Centered Math Workbook: Level A (Part 503)
- Christ-Centered Math Workbook: Level B:1 (Part 531)
- Christ-Centered Math Workbook: Level B:2 (Part 533)
- Place Value Pocket Chart (Part 520.1)
- Snap Cubes (Part 520.2)
Note: The last two items above (520.1 and 520.2) are hands-on teaching aids used with all three Levels of lessons to provide meaning (value) to numbers.
Teaching Math Levels A and B:
At Levels A and B:1, after teaching the day's lesson refer to the included Workbook Answer Key
for teaching tips to complete the workbook assignment.
How to teach fractions, time, and money is in a Workbook Instructions/Answer Key format in Math Lessons: Level B:2.
An Advanced K4, K5, or Beginning 1st grader can usually complete Math Levels A
and B:1 in a year---and some K5/B1st students can also finish Level B:2.
A few even more advanced students have been known to finish Levels A, B,
and C in a typical school year (or shortly thereafter). For the best
results, teach in sequence according to whatever pacing lovingly challenges