Advanced Phonics Program
- Advanced First Grade (A1st)
- Regular Second Grade (2nd)
- Older students needing a stronger phonics base
Note: An Advanced 1st or Regular 2nd grader is a student who has already accomplished skills taught at Phonics Level B:2.
Skills Covered at Phonics Level C:
- Two-Syllable Root Words
- Compound Words
- Adding Suffixes -es, -ed, -ing
- Syllabication Patterns & Accent Rules
- Vowel Digraphs (two vowels with a single speech sound)
- Modified Vowels (ar, er, ir, or, ur)
- Diphthongs (ou, ow, oi, oy)
- Open/Closed Syllables
- Vowel Variants
- Consonant Variants
- Silent Letters
- Common Prefixes/Suffixes
- Homonyms, Antonyms, Analogies (word puzzles), Homographs
- Reading Multi-Syllable Words
- Advanced Spelling
- Dictionary Skills
- Grammar (common/proper nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, interjections, contractions)
- Writing Exercises (simple sentences)
- Diagramming Simple Sentences (to identify the "who," "doing," and "what" of sentences to increase reading comprehension)
- Cursive Penmanship
Note: The GRAMMAR EXERCISE in the Phonics Lessons for Cards 32-66 (Part 206) introduced the first three parts of speech. The five remaining parts of speech plus basic writing skills are introduced in the Phonics Lessons for Cards 67-93 and 94-118 (Levels C:2 and C:3).
Phonics Kit C includes the following:
Teacher Materials: Click any part number below to link to more information about that product. (If you don't have Phonics Flashcards 67-93 and 94-118, you can get them by ordering Parts 201.3 and 201.4.)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 67-93: Level C:2 (Part 209).
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook Instructions & Answer Key: Level C:2 (Part 210AK)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 94-118: Level C:3 (Part 211).
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook Instructions & Answer Key: Level C:3 (Part 212AK)
Student Materials: Click on the first two part numbers below for more information about those products.
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook: Level C:2 (Part 210)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook: Level C:3 (Part 212)
- Reader: The Flood: God Saves Me (Part 356)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Drill Reader (Part 357)
- Reader: A Time at Home (Part 360.3)
- Reader: It is a Joy to Learn (Part 360.4)
Teaching Phonics Level C:
For the best results, before beginning to teach Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 67-93: Level C:2 (Part 209) we recommend the following:
- Read pages 125-135 of the “TEACHER’S GUIDE TO READING” at the end of the revised Christ-Centered Phonics Drill Reader (PDR) which was released the Fall of 2012. (This important book is included in Complete Phonics Kit C.)
- Read pages135-146---PREPARING TO TEACH THE PDR. This is your guide to helping your child build rapid word attack skills through daily assignments in Level C's Phonics Drill Reader (Part 357).
- Have your student complete the Spelling & Vocabulary Workbook: Level B:2 (Part 208). This workbook and its Answer Key (Part 208AK) are included in Phonics Kit B (Part 002) and Phonics Add-On Kit B (Part 002AO).
Teaching the Phonics Level C:2 and C:3 lessons for two days each, their related workbook pages, plus supplemental readers should thoroughly develop your student’s advanced decoding, spelling, and grammar/writing skills within a typical school year, or shortly thereafter.